UndergroundHipHop.com 12 Days of Christmas
Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (46) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
How Old Are You? Am I To Old For Hip Hop?

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 108 replies
Page: 1 2 3
AuthorTopic:  How Old Are You? Am I To Old For Hip Hop?
greg_h._valentine

Total Posts: 3073
posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 9:36:16 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for greg_h._valentine
I am 42, been listening to hip hop since early 80's. I have had a hard time really getting into new artist. I would say the only new artist I really listen to are Mayhem, Rustee Juxx, Dirt Platoon, and those excess aren't even new. I still check for new stuff from established emcees such as DITC, Ace, Paz, Ill Bill, Nas etc. But I just can't get into new cats. The question is am I to old for hip hop? Anyone else feel the same way? Has the music really fell off or am I stuck in a time warp?

Partial IP: 62.144.146

Loewi

Total Posts: 4500
posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 9:38:13 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
I'm 30 and no you're not too old for Hip-hop, maybe just the newer styles. You ever checked Mach-Hommy? He's my favorite newer rapper

lex718

Total Posts: 689
posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 9:58:29 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for lex718
I'm 36. Thing is we came up in an era when rap was still a young genre and what we were presented with at a young age was an evolving culture that progressed and kinda laughed at the older cats trying to keep up. As we grew up, rap did a little too. A lot of my favorite rappers are now in their 40s. There are some dope younger MCs spitting. NYOIL's artist S.I.T.H. (Sick In The Head) is a beast. I fuck with Stro but wasn't crazy about his last album. Definitely think Kendrick is a beast and Pro Era & Odd Future got some shit that hits. Chris Rivers raps his ass off. Way I see it you listen to whatever it is that you enjoy irrespective of the age of the artist. Nobody bats an eye when older rock fans say they prefer classic rock or Jazz fans have a preference to a particular subgenre of Jazz. Music means different shit to different people. A lot of us who came up in the Golden era have a preference for music that upholds a certain standard of skill. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

Sp 90s

Total Posts: 2527
posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 9:59:29 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Sp 90s
Obviously there is no age limit for listening to a genre of music. So no, you're not too old for hip hop, but you should be experimenting with other genres, especially if the majority of hip hop is boring to you (I agree). That whole I listen to hip hop and only hip hop is the gayest shit alive.

tippi dink

Total Posts: 5146
posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 10:00:47 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
i don't really think it's really possible to be "too old" for something you enjoy, apart from the obvious like going to chuck e cheese by yourself as a 42 year old man or chilling with little kids at the playground.

imo hip hop is pretty much youth counterculture and the primary audience is probably between the ages of 15-30 so it makes sense that you'd feel out of place, especially if you don't fuck with a lot of the newer artists you hear but there's nothing wrong with that. i just think it's important to recognize that these younger artists aren't making music for you and to be able to respect/appreciate talent whether or not you relate to the artist. a lot of the time a 20 year old is going to be saying some shit that only other people around that age would really be able to relate to or appreciate. also, the genre has evolved and changed over time and newer artists are influenced by the generation before them that they grew up with so obviously the music is going to sound different that what you grew up with as a result of that.

basically, you like what you like so keep doing that. don't overthink it lol.

mic_data

Total Posts: 481
posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 10:02:45 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for mic_data
I kinda felt like nothing good was happening for a while too. I still look for anything new from Cunninlynguists, Nas, Killah Priest, Lost Children of Babylon, Immortal Technique, Paris, Son of Saturn, Cyne, Blackalicious, Beast1333, Myka 9, and other older guys I liked.

In the past month I've discovered a lot of good stuff though, actually, and it depends on your taste, but Dopplegangaz, Melosoulblack, Open Mic Eagle, DopeKnife, JohnWayne, Mindsone. I still have yet to get into Fahim, Mach Hommy, and Billy Woods.

I'm 37, but I feel that I only want something with good production AND good lyrics- and For the longest time, I only sought out anything political, "conscious" or spiritual oriented, so I skipped over a lot of the newer stuff. But check out some of the above.

dr.proF

Total Posts: 5837
posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 10:27:49 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for dr.proF   Click Here to Email dr.proF
Im 28 and i find hip hop hard to resist. I know 20 year olds who feel like OP, though. Some people just cant get over their favorite rappers in their prime. It might be nas and kool g rap, it might be fabolous and lloyd banks. For me my favorite thing has always been rap production, and im rarely dissapointed...theres always a ton of interesting new beats every year and the rappers who get on those beats rarely bother me.

Amateur bedroom rappers who try to be tough/overly rely on the word "fuck" is one of the only things i hate, examples being grimmm doza, beat lampers, heem stogied.

Also i hate rappers who rap somberly about the culture degrading, such as epidemic and sadistik

And obviously we all hate pussified international superstar PC pop rap like mackelmore and flo rida

Otherwise i love how retarded mainstream rap has gotten (21 savage, kodak black) and i love how ughh is now either on some larger than life gangster/pimp shit (roc marc, ugly mane, planet asia) or some very intelligent and real shit (billy woods, tree, OME). Then you got funny dudes like michael christmas and dopp gang

So much variety

tippi dink

posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 10:52:08 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
that's how i feel too prof, hip hop has become this massive, diverse genre with as many sub-genres as rock music or metal and i love it. some people seem to genuinely think that variety is a bad thing and that if everyone continued to make the same type of boom bap over and over again that the genre would somehow be better. it seems like so many people want to put it into this tiny box, it reminds me of old ass out of touch dads talking about "back in MY dad we listened to REAL rock and roll, that stuff you kids listen to now isn't even music". that shit makes my eyes roll all the way into the back of skull, and the funny part about it is that when these people were kids their parents probably thought whatever they listened to was trash.

tha $pace clock

Total Posts: 1658
posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 11:05:25 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tha $pace clock
I'm 31 and in my hiphop prime. I'm not sure I've ever been so hiphop

Loewi

posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 11:25:06 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
"That whole I listen to hip hop and only hip hop is the gayest shit alive."

I dabble in other genres but Hip-Hop is my favorite BY FAR

Sp 90s

posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 11:33:29 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Sp 90s
That's cool. It was my favorite genre for a long time too. Now I'm mainly just in for the beats. Even lyrically rapper seldom excite me anymore. I just don't care to hear n*gga 100 times and how the streets is/was.

Still a lot of good production in ughh though. I'm legit surprised some times by the obscure samples these guys have been using.

lex718

Total Posts: 689
posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 11:45:50 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for lex718
Yeah, ONLY listening to rap is like only eating Italian food. Might be your favorite but you're missing out on a whole lot of good shit if you never venture out.

Loewi

posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 11:54:00 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Loewi
I only eat fast food 😅;

Sp 90s

posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 12:16:28 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Sp 90s
Damn Lowie that's terrible lol

Nassau William Senior

Total Posts: 2120
Location: Hot box, handsome on a hill, watchin' night lights stretch. A Los Angeles journalist like Fletch.
posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 12:58:01 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Nassau William Senior

kenlamarainthiphop

Total Posts: 121
posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 3:20:29 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for kenlamarainthiphop
fact of the matter is a lot of shit you faggots consider hip hop is not even hip hop so your diverse by fault and dont even know it..... well now you do lol

tippi dink

posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 3:32:31 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
you're free to think that if you want, that's your opinion, keep doing you, etc but the bottom line is that it's all classified as hip hop whether you agree or not, and it will continue to be. boom bap is a subgenre of hip hop, and experimental hip hop is still hip hop, it all falls under that same umbrella. this is literally how every other genre of music ever works, so why should hip hop be the exception? honestly, aside from the argument some people make that rap =/= hip hop, where exactly do you draw the line?

tippi dink

posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 3:47:53 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
also, have you been in a good mood or something lately ollie? i've noticed the last few days you've been posting and sharing your opinions like a somewhat reasonable and well adjusted human being, like in the rap action figures thread. what's up with that?

dr.proF

posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 3:51:58 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dr.proF   Click Here to Email dr.proF
Ollie in that sentence it would be "you're"

You'll learn, bud. Baby steps

COOLGUY JIMMY

Total Posts: 3580
posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 3:54:02 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for COOLGUY JIMMY
Just turned 30, yikes

Seme__one

Total Posts: 1294
Location: I hate this board that's why I post here most days.
posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 4:44:38 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Seme__one
never too old, but at a certain age angry wigger rap can be embarrassing along with some of the gangsta shit, its all entertainment tho'...I still fucks with it

I get what you mean with a lot of the the younger artists, I can't get into them either. Its mainly the skill level...I guess also the beats

Hip Hop is youth counterculture but it sticks with a lot of us older fans as I guess the music you listen to as a teen normally has the biggest impact/fondest memories etc.

mainstream seems so weak to me at the moment and I can't see me digging it anytime soon but there is plenty of good Hip Hop out there

as you get older you mature and your taste broadens....fuck JUST listening to Hip Hop only

mic_data

posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 5:14:41 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for mic_data
I've seen kenlamarainthiphop in here dissing pretty much everything he sees, but I have yet to see what he actually likes, just hate on everything I guess.

You can't say what hip hop is or isn't, ya don't own it, no one's going to agree on that answer, so it doesn't have one specific answer.

One thing great about hip hop is you have songs from every genre (almost) incorporated, you've got production using classical samples, jazz, soul, r&b, dub step, even rock sometimes. I appreciate all the different ways the music is reformatted.

I also don't have time for rappers who aren't really saying anything, just like people in general.

|=|

Total Posts: 1223
posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 5:57:06 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for |=|
Lots of good POVs being shared and I agree with most.

I'm 38. Greg, imo, music is extremely personal in so many ways and for music that you loved "back in the day", there's this sense of nostalgia that the sound provides. That can't be duplicated, in a sense, because it's attached to a previous place, time and/or feeling for you.

A perfect example for me is Young Bleed's My Balls and My Word album. That's a personal classic to me. If I heard that for the first time right now, I wouldn't really care for it, but it was the soundtrack to a time in my life, so I will always be able to spin that again and again and like it.

There's a lot of shit tier music (across genres) today and honestly, that's no different than back in the day (imo). It's all relative and subjective.

There's some new cats I don't respect because I don't feel they have the talent. Grind, sure, but rap skills? Nah. And there's lots of new cats that I may not dig all their music, but I can definitely appreciate their skills and art (Kendrick and Logic come to mind).

You're never too old for anything. Keeping it fresh and expanding your musical horizons is key though. It can give you a break from a tired genre and when you come back to that genre, you'll appreciate it that much more (imo of course).

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

Total Posts: 3056
posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 7:18:51 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
i cosign sp90s. i could care less wat a rapper has to say aside from a handful of dudes, we've heard everything already. all bout the beats for sure.

recumbent_god

Total Posts: 8117
posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 7:38:51 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for recumbent_god
Anyone above the age of 23 should not be listening to hiphop. There's a certain level of maturity one should have by that point in life.

Been listening to a lot more mature music lately.

I don't mind sharing a few artists you should look into if your looking to grow the fuck up.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 8:01:05 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
lol at kids yes kids at 23 knowing shit about shit. u have til 26-27 to get ur kiddy asshole bullshit outta the way. if ur still an asshole at 28yrs old ur prolly always gonna be an asshole. 23, jesus.

mic_data

posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 8:45:46 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for mic_data
I mean, I've found a lot of MCs that still have relevant things to say. Whether it's Slug, Grouch, Or MacLethal just talking about their families and growing up or Killah Priest mixing up Anunaki aliens with Judaism, or Paris talking about Pistol Politics and government corruption to Son of Saturn talking Buddhism, to Illuminati Congo telling ancient Hindu stories, to Rass Kass breaking down the recent political scene )and not just saying 'Kill Trump Kill Trump' which is the extent of some other lyrical prowess). There's still a lot of good story telling out there as well, and concept albums, etc. Beast1333 is always dropping some esoteric topics.

Other than all that, there's still some clever, wordy MCs out there, but I've heard enough of 'I'm the best rapper' kind of stuff or the murderdeathkill kind of stuff even if it's just metaphorical.

Also, yes, the beats have to be interesting, but since when did we listen to shitty beats?

mic_data

posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 9:10:40 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for mic_data
The following clip may express some of your feelings and thoughts:

morefishscale

Total Posts: 249
posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 9:12:06 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for morefishscale
I'm 28 and I'll be listening to hip hop still as an old man

dj rolo

Total Posts: 2994
posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 10:22:19 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dj rolo
never too old, first time i heard rap and became a fan was 1979 ...and i'm still here.

Texas_Underground1

Total Posts: 2192
posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 10:51:51 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Texas_Underground1
25.Hiphop still the best,don't see that changing ever.

Lit Jagger

Total Posts: 2275
Location: They call it the underground because that's where dead things are buried
posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 11:53:42 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
Not reading all these essays but if you cant appreciate new rap by the young gen then youre just washed up

kenlamarainthiphop

posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 11:53:58 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for kenlamarainthiphop
sure I can says whats hip hop and not... i earned my right to talk shit og ug expert bow u fagots.

allen iverson once decided to pick up a mic and wrap about thug folklore that wasnt hip hop and he is not and emcee.

billy joe bob went to the bar last night for karoake night and sang along with a gay z song that doenst make him an emcee or hip hop. justin beiber and brittney wrapped on a tracks they are not emcees or hip hop?? get the message u fucking idiot???

BulletproofCodpiece

Total Posts: 158
posted Tuesday, August 08, 2017 11:55:03 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for BulletproofCodpiece
43 and nah never too old. just gotta act your age. though I still sag but just slightly, pants not too baggy, lg and xl t-shirts now steada xxl's. still finding new dope music. still love to bump all my old shit. might bump other genres just as much as hip hop nowadays when back in the days hip hop and rnb was the majority of what I listened to. also still some cats from back in the day still putting out good music I'm interested in listening too or checkin for.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

posted Wednesday, August 09, 2017 3:37:18 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
i dont kno why beat heads ALL dont go search for the music rap samples. thats given rap a whole new life for me the past half a decade. and i get so tired of words after awhile and need some instrumentals to. but as far as sample based music, the possibilities are endless.

Partial IP: 43.230.209

kenlamarainthiphop

posted Wednesday, August 09, 2017 4:38:38 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for kenlamarainthiphop
^^ thats cause u listen to way too much wack stuff so words are meaningless, if you concentrate on emcees that are nice with the craftmanship of words u will never get tired of vocals, in fact give me acapella records of ug emcees anyday over gay z femanem and the rest of these commercial circus rejects

mic_data

posted Wednesday, August 09, 2017 8:43:01 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for mic_data
Can anyone explain kenlamar's "sure I can says whats hip hop and not... i earned my right to talk shit og ug expert bow u fagots."

Is he some kind of KRS-One/Temple of Hip Hop founder or something whose word in hip hop law? Most of us have been listening to u.g. for oover 20 years, so o.g. what?

We can all agree the best "wrappers" got Christmas on lock.

dr.proF

posted Wednesday, August 09, 2017 9:09:00 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for dr.proF   Click Here to Email dr.proF
^ no hes not, and as a matter of fact it's highly likely that he doesnt know shit about hip hop. He rarely if ever has any real contribution to hip hop discussion and has been accused several times, with no real retort, of not actually listening to hip hop.

Pretty sure he's just a troll from some wack website like the coli

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, August 09, 2017 9:50:59 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
whenever i ask ollie what his favorite albums are or what hip hop he liked from this year he just avoids the question and says he doesn't have to "entertain me".

mic_data

posted Wednesday, August 09, 2017 11:05:10 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for mic_data
Ha. Anyway, just found this site while looking for the new Myka 9, it seems fitting for this thread:

https://GrownupRap.com/

Not sure what all they have there, but looks decent. Their catch phrase is, "Notes from the intelligent side of hip-hop."

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, August 09, 2017 11:12:30 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
noooooooo mic_data, why'd you do that? man you ruined everything lol. that's the site me and clock use to find tracks to post in the singles thread, at least i think he uses it, and now everyone knows about it. cat's out of the bag now i guess haha.

Mental Patient UGHH Artist

Total Posts: 3487
posted Wednesday, August 09, 2017 12:25:07 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Mental Patient
Greg - I'm 35. You're good.

THE ONLY TOO OLD PERSON TO LISTEN TO HIP HOP IS THAT FAGGOT WICKED22 GAY!
WHO IS AN 80 YEAR OLD MAN WITH 18 YEAR OLD ASIAN STRIPPERS GUARDING HIS CASTLE!

kenlamarainthiphop

posted Wednesday, August 09, 2017 12:40:13 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for kenlamarainthiphop
Dr doof is the biggest faget this board has ever seen he listens to uncle tom coon mainstream teeny booper crap like a 13 year old kid. Only contribution this pizza boy has made is poasting about xommercial garbage.

kenlamarainthiphop

posted Wednesday, August 09, 2017 12:46:03 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for kenlamarainthiphop
Tippi, thousands of threads fagit i listen ug period, its not my problem their have been asswipe power freak commercial m9ds who have an agenda to turn a ug site into a commercialized forum. Ask them where my history is idiot.

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, August 09, 2017 12:47:58 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
damn ollie, that was savage af. yo dr. prof, here's a list of burn centers in United States. i think you're gonna need it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_burn_centers_in_the_United_States

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, August 09, 2017 12:54:10 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
but what does that have to do with answering my question though? man, i didn't realize that once you make a thread about artists/albums you like that you automatically forget everything about them and can never mention them again. my bad.

kenlamarainthiphop

posted Wednesday, August 09, 2017 2:38:49 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for kenlamarainthiphop
^Greg val made a thread abiut old for hip hop why disrespect him and hijack it?

tippi dink

posted Wednesday, August 09, 2017 2:44:45 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
fair enough, even though i know you've hijacked threads before, i'll give you that one. if i made a thread specifically asking what albums you've enjoyed from this year though would you actually answer the question? after all, how i supposed to see the light and become a real ug hip hop fan instead of a commercial wrap loving fagit if you don't offer any alternatives? i need your guidance bruh.

dr.proF

posted Wednesday, August 09, 2017 2:58:30 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for dr.proF   Click Here to Email dr.proF
Lol thanks for the link tippo but it says nothing of the mental and emotional scars i reckon i will now have for life

Bow down to the ughh overlord that is ollie

Wannabe stunnas lament

marley gang

Total Posts: 26
posted Wednesday, August 09, 2017 3:02:44 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for marley gang
ollie = gay

Partial IP: .37.75.106

marley gang

posted Wednesday, August 09, 2017 3:03:37 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for marley gang
like, that's actually his name

marley gang

posted Wednesday, August 09, 2017 3:09:41 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for marley gang

All times are ET. The time now is 5:25 PM.Post viewed 1832 timesPage: 1 2 3
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: