Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (33) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > Hip Hop Discussion Board >
Slick Rick

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 19 replies
Page: 1
AuthorTopic:  Slick Rick
felipedahiphopadict01

Total Posts: 59
posted Monday, July 31, 2017 1:16:21 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for felipedahiphopadict01
letīs face it ricky should be more apreciatted i mean ask Snoop, nas ghostface, common, redman, jay, em, rakim and krs, to name a few all consider slick one of the illest so...why dont we? isnt he without a doubt top 3 storyteller

Partial IP: 62.144.146

Total Posts: 15804
posted Monday, July 31, 2017 1:31:33 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
he put out one classic album, which, in hindsight, has some real meh tracks on it and is a musically inconsistent album, in terms of tone. it's all over the place, tonally, because i think back then they didn't really know how to make "albums" yet. rick was just making songs, and they all got compiled together, and are a real random mix.

he put out some shitty albums after that. and then one good one that's really long.

he has a great voice/flow.

his career was ruined by his personal life's issues. i don't think he deserves more credit than he gets. his storytelling style was incredibly influential to later rappers, but the songs are kind of dated now (and i usually hate when people call things dated). to me, his legacy is more in how great the careers of rappers he influenced turned out than his own career. in other words, i'd rather listen to the rappers he fathered than him, and i'm thankful to him for that.

tippi dink

Total Posts: 3979
posted Monday, July 31, 2017 1:39:09 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for tippi dink
well put 88.

i think the different between slick rick and rappers like nas, ghostface, common, jay-z, etc is that they've all been remained pretty consistent over the years.

for some reason this made me think of the matrix films. first one is incredible but the sequels weren't that great, i still respect that whole franchise though because of it's influence.

posted Monday, July 31, 2017 2:06:11 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
the matrix movies are a victim of the sophmore jinx (yes, i know the matrix wasn't their first film). the wachowskis had their whole lives - or at least years and years - to come up with the concept and the screenplay for the first matrix. they put everything they had into every beat of that film, making sure it was tight as hell.

then, it blew the fuck up, and the studios demanded sequels. the wachowskis had sequel ideas, of course, but they needed time to hammer out the details of each moment in the script, just like they did with the first film. but they weren't given the time to do that. the first film, they had years to work on it, the sequel(s), they had only a year. no wonder there's a dip in quality. you can tell the first film's script had a shit tonne of drafts. you can also tell the sequels did not. it's as simple as that, unfortunately.

same thing happens in all art. the sophomore releases are rushed, unlike the debut. the quality suffers.

it's exactly what happened to true detective too (pun), and is exactly why the big wigs at hbo said season three will come out whenever it's ready. they learned their lesson.

posted Monday, July 31, 2017 2:10:43 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
the first matrix, btw, is a solid fucking masterpiece. the writing, the editing, everything. it's so fucking good. people can hate on the sequels all they want, but don't let that diminish how great the first one was and is.

here's a fantastic video about just how spectacular the writing and editing in that film really were:

no mask

Total Posts: 6564
posted Monday, July 31, 2017 2:32:59 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
Rick was groundbreaking as am emcee with his style, voice, flow, punchlines and his work with doug e fresh's get fresh crew created 2 of the most important rap songs ever in 1985: the show and la di da di. His first album is mostly dope and has some issues as 88 mentioned. Rick and other legends get over looked by younger fans who may not know or also may have never developed an appreciation for the more basic, makeshift, stripped down production style of pre '89 rap.

The rulers back and behind bars albums are pretty dope to me.

Only thing i dont like about rick is all the stupid gold chains.

Mc serch went to the same high school as rick and dana dane and said he was the younger little nerd in the corner watching them rap all the time and they inspired him to persue a rap career.

posted Monday, July 31, 2017 3:02:47 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
Rick and other legends get over looked by younger fans who may not know or also may have never developed an appreciation for the more basic, makeshift, stripped down production style of pre '89 rap.

i don't think it's just that. it might be for some. i don't mind the stripped down sounds from back then. the issue with rick's first album to me, and other older albums, is the priority seemed to be on songs more than albums back then, so the albums seem kind of messy and uncohesive. rick's first is a good example. same with the whodini albums. then there are other rappers who did it right, like epmd, eric b and rakim, ultramag, etc. but there were some early rap albums, especially pre-1988, that are more collections of songs than albums, and it seems like a dated thing to me. they seem to have started figuring out how to put albums together in 88/89.

wicked 22.2

Total Posts: 2375
posted Monday, July 31, 2017 3:11:25 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for wicked 22.2   Click Here to Email wicked 22.2
Rick is DAFFY 'nuff said.

no mask

posted Monday, July 31, 2017 4:48:13 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
^i agree 88. was just giving a couple reasons.

no mask

posted Monday, July 31, 2017 4:54:51 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
at 88

nice n smooth had that off pitch craziness on their first 2 albums. terrible.

Daddy Alfredo (Admin)

Total Posts: 1623
posted Monday, July 31, 2017 7:13:21 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Daddy Alfredo
he has one of my favorite voices ever in rap

Partial IP: 43.230.209

no mask

posted Monday, July 31, 2017 7:19:32 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
^too clarify on the nice n smooth. the debut is an amazing classic. pitch/off key thing only on 2 songs.

run dmc then slick rick brought the gold chains into rap also.

Lit Jagger

Total Posts: 1143
Location: Oh so you're a cac huh? That's all I needed to know. Good bye
posted Monday, July 31, 2017 7:59:44 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Lit Jagger
Old washed up overated 80s gimmick, stupid voice and all that good and eye patch. He's what Mr t is to acting as he is to rapping. Never dropped one classic album just a few mediocre songs like teenage love and children's story. His boy Dougie fresh was also a gimmick. This is why NY rap is a joke. They take some Brit off the streets of London and make him an American rap icon. Only old heads wearing fila sweat suits and kangols can relate to his shitty music. No one cared that he was locked up and when he got out his only gift was jumping on a song with outkast compared to when pac got out and went to death row and became the biggest music legend in the world. Slick rick will go down as top 50 at the most Kendrick is a better story teller by light years so is cube.

no mask

posted Monday, July 31, 2017 8:41:57 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
^dougie fresh was no gimmick. settle down.

Clockworx (Admin)

Total Posts: 37019
posted Monday, July 31, 2017 8:46:27 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Legendary for impact/influence and not content/albums. While everyone rightfully dickrides Great Adventures, this is as dope to me...

Partial IP: 242.189.89

no mask

posted Monday, July 31, 2017 8:53:36 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for no mask
^i never heard that one clock. heard good things.

Decepticon_1_Galvatron

Total Posts: 1617
posted Monday, July 31, 2017 11:26:37 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Decepticon_1_Galvatron
Bring on the Madslick album and shut em all up.

pattch82

Total Posts: 583
posted Tuesday, August 01, 2017 2:00:03 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for pattch82   Click Here to Email pattch82

^^ A Slick Rick album produced by Madlib and Oh No would be craaaazy!! Rick was ill on that Auditorium joint. And he was dope on that Vows joint by Juggaknots, produced by Oh No.

Clockworx (Admin)

Total Posts: 37019
posted Tuesday, August 01, 2017 5:26:51 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Clockworx
Yo no mask it's not a classic but for an album made in what was a mostly underwhelming year'99 it's pretty fucking dope and one of my favorites from that year.

Partial IP: 242.189.89

Decepticon_1_Galvatron

Total Posts: 1617
posted Tuesday, August 01, 2017 6:41:09 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Decepticon_1_Galvatron
Let's all tweet Rick about an album with Madlib.

Could do the same with BDK DJ Premier.
G Rap ALC, Rakim Kanye, Little Wayne Q-Tip, Monch EL-P...LETS GO

All times are ET. The time now is 11:46 AM.Post viewed 560 timesPage: 1
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: