Back To Starting Page Not signed in sign in
Current Forum Users (41) | My Profile | Register | Forum FAQ | Forum Search | UGHH Chat

UndergroundHipHop.com Forums > General Discussion Board >
Childish Gambino's This Is America

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Share: Add to FacebookAdd to TwitterEmail This
Found: 8 replies
Page: 1
AuthorTopic:  Childish Gambino's This Is America
Maffmatics (Admin)

Total Posts: 25011
Location: Iím a founding member of an organization called Deep Green Resistance
posted Monday, June 25, 2018 3:36:16 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Maffmatics   Click Here to Email Maffmatics

Dated Mar 20, 2016

Partial IP: 224.194.89

The Alien9

Total Posts: 18043
posted Tuesday, June 26, 2018 10:40:30 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for The Alien9   Click Here to Email The Alien9
I like the This is America better. They do sound a little similar, but that's a style that's been around for years now

One of my coworkers thought This Is America was by Kayne West

That is a dope song though, I'm gonna have to check that guy out

Total Posts: 18527
Location: What does god have to do with the pronunciation of a word?
posted Wednesday, June 27, 2018 11:23:28 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for 88
glover's manager tweeted (but later deleted the tweet) that their song is 3yrs old, and they got the pro tools backup to prove it.

not trying to defend glover or take a side with this post; just providing a factoid i read yesterday *shurg

KillahK22

Total Posts: 4
posted Thursday, June 28, 2018 10:43:12 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for KillahK22
It's similar

VicOne

Total Posts: 5107
posted Thursday, June 28, 2018 2:17:28 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for VicOne   Click Here to Email VicOne
20"

Porkelin

Total Posts: 409
posted Thursday, June 28, 2018 8:16:07 PM    Click Here to See the Profile for Porkelin
It's not the same song. Similar beat. Triplet flow. Political theme. OH MY GOD, what are the ODDS, out of a trillion rap songs, one sounds similar to another one that blew up!
The central idea of Gambino's song was to sharply contrast two realities as demonstrated in beat shifts, lyrics and music video. That's what made the song. Where's that in American Pharaoh? Gambino was intentionally using flows by various other rappers though. I took it as a reference to their role in entertainment.
The notion that the song was a copy of American Pharaoh is fucking laughable. I saw some asshat on the Daily Wire shit on Gambino for stealing the song and using that to debunk his message. Says a lot about the show. And fans of the show... maff.

Maffmatics (Admin)

posted Friday, June 29, 2018 3:49:11 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Maffmatics   Click Here to Email Maffmatics
Hey i didn't say i agree it was a copy, nor do i think it is.
I do think it's likely it was a heavy influence though because of how similar the two tracks are. Find me another track that is this similar.
If it was an influence it should have had a shout out from Glover, but still it's good that Jase is getting some attention from all this now.

Also i don't know what the Daily Wire is, i pulled this from Reddit.

Besides all that shit i don't like the Gambino track that much, it's the video that really made This Is America good. Donald looking sexy in that video.

Porkelin

Total Posts: 409
posted Friday, June 29, 2018 6:03:14 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Porkelin
Oh. It's Ben Shapiro's news site. Figured you were all up on that.
Yeah, it's not a very good stand alone track. Wouldn't have sold half without Glover dancing with his top off on it.
I don't know that it's influenced by the other though. It could well be, maybe even subliminally influenced, but it could also just be lateral thinking. It's not a very rare type flow, neither is the lyrical content abnormal. Beat is somewhat out of the norm though, but it's not the same beat, they're just similar because of the low key, high-paced, non-alternating bassline, which was done by different means; plus there's that trap hat, which really isn't rare at all. Snares sound kind of alike...
If he intentionally lifted elements of Pharaoh, then he should definitely have given him a shout out.

Maffmatics (Admin)

posted Friday, June 29, 2018 9:22:18 AM    Click Here to See the Profile for Maffmatics   Click Here to Email Maffmatics
Lol I don't follow Shapiro. I may have enjoyed a few videos he was in but I mostly ignore all that political media whoring. Unless it's Count Dankula, I like that guy.

Partial IP: 05.198.217

All times are ET. The time now is 6:25 AM.Post viewed 342 timesPage: 1
 next newest topic | next oldest topic
Hop to: